In general, all UK products are designed for use outdoors in wet environments. Dive Products are specially designed for submergence to SCUBA depths in sea water. After use, these products should be rinsed in fresh water to remove any salt water, mud, or other potentially damaging contaminates and then dried before storage.
O-ring seals should be cleaned, lubricated with silicone grease and inspected each time the light is opened.
Batteries should never be stored in lights, because they often leak corrosive liquid after months of storage. More specific recommendations are listed below.
Only use the battery type recommended in the instructions. Lights with safety certifications list specific brands and models. Although inexpensive, never use zinc carbon batteries. They are not designed to supply the current required for high performance UK lights.
Unfortunately all sizes and brands of alkaline batteries can leak corrosive liquid (potassium hydroxide solution) when mishandled or left for months stored in a flashlight. When this occurs the mechanism of the light will probably be damaged and the reflector surface may lose the shiny aluminum coating. Note: if the battery liquid touches your skin, wash it off immediately because it will cause a chemical burn. Store your batteries separately from the light.
Battery manufacturers recommend storing batteries at temperatures between 50°F (10°C) and 77°F (25°C), with relative humidity not exceeding 65 percent. Refrigeration of alkaline batteries is not necessary. Temperatures exceeding 130°F (54°C) should be avoided due to potential softening of the seal in the battery and subsequent leakage.
Also, batteries which are installed in an o-ring sealed light without observing the proper polarity, are not the same type, brand name and age or are completely discharged can vent hydrogen gas and possibly cause an explosion. To avoid these situations load batteries according to the diagram shown on the light or in the instructions. Do not mix batteries of different type, brand name or age. Discard all batteries as soon as they are drained or no longer produce light.
Rechargeable nicad battery packs should be charged before use for maximum burn time. They can self discharge at the rate of 1% per day. Charge the pack 10-12 hours or until the pack begins to feel warm. Turn the light off when it is dull orange. Do not allow the battery pack to become completely discharged. A battery stored for several months will need to be charged and discharged several time for maximum burn time to return.
Always check the main o-ring seal before diving. To do this, open the light and remove the o-ring with you fingers. Do not use any tools which could cut the o-ring or scratch the sealing surfaces. Clean the o-ring by running it between your index finger and thumb until it feels smooth and clean. Wipe the sealing surfaces with a soft lint-free cloth until they appear clean. Grease the o-ring by running it between you thumb and index finger after applying a little o-ring grease. Only shine the o-ring with grease. Excesses of grease are not necessary and do not improve the seal. Carefully replace the o-ring while watching for contaminates such as lint, threads, hairs or sand. Close the light by replacing the bezel. Excessive force is not required when replacing the bezel. A snug twist is all that is required.
Maximizing Lamp Life
Fresh batteries or rechargeables just off the charger often have slightly higher voltage than normal. Increased voltage applied to a lamp decreases its life. Most lamps actually fail just after replacing batteries for this reason. In order to reduce this voltage, allow rechargeables to rest for a while after charge (perhaps an hour). Turn the light on an leave it on for a few minutes to reduce the excess voltage. Flicking the light on and off with fresh batteries will certainly reduce the lamp life. When replacing alkaline batteries with lithium batteries lamp life will be shortened due to the slightly higher voltage from the lithium cells.
LED and HID lamp lives are not affected by the these problems of fresh batteries.
If your light floods with water, turn it off immediately. After returning to shore or dive boat, unscrew the bezel and rinse the contents with fresh water. Allow all components to dry completely. Reassemble the light to see if it still works. If not, return it to you UK dealer or to UK for repair. Remove the o-ring before shipping. If the reflector assembly should get wet, but still works after drying, be sure to have your dealer install a new hydrogen removal catalyst inside the reflector on the circuit board.
Rinse in fresh water before storage. Although blades made from Hydralloy or Titanium are highly corrosion resistant, accumulations of salt crystals from seawater can eventually "gum up" the operation of the knife or damage other equipment stored with the knife.
Keep the blade sharp. A dive knife is often used as a tool for activities beyond cutting and slicing. Acts such as prying, hammering and stabbing, etc. can destroy the cutting edge of the knife. When you really need to use the knife for cutting the performance will not be as expected. We recommend that you keep the blade sharp using the sharpening steels and stones used for other cutlery. There are many techniques published in books and on the web.
Before diving inspect the knife locking mechanism of the sheath. Insert the knife and make sure that it locks in place. If not, look for mud or seaweed in the mechanism which may prevent proper operation.
Due to sharpness of the knife blade, it should be wrapped in several layers of towel or other protective material when removing or assembling the handle.
Dry Box / UltraCase / LoadoutCase
For maximum performance it is important to keep UK Dry Boxes, UltraCases, and LoadoutCases clean. Rinse the outside of the case with water or wipe with a damp cloth to remove dirt and salt water.
In applications which require the case to protect the contents from water it is important to check the seal often. Remove all accumulated dust, sand, salt crystals, fibers, etc. Check for dings or damage to the sealing surfaces. Test the seal by removing the contents of the case and submerge the resealed case in water for a few minutes. Remove and dry the case. Open it and look for leakage.
Do not store the case in direct sunlight for long periods of time such that the interior exceeds 160°F (71°C). Slight warping may occur which will affect the water resistant seal.